Sometimes all you need is a quick and easy nourishing meal. When that time comes, reaching for a pasta dish is a no-brainer. But making pasta healthier can also be a no-brainer. The key to healthy pasta is pairing sources of protein and vegetables alongside the carbohydrate-rich pasta. In this meal, shrimp serves as an excellent source of healthy protein and is paired with peas as the vegetable.
To elevate the nutrition of this pasta dish further, choose a whole wheat or a bean-based pasta like chickpea pasta. This dinner is great for seniors with a low appetite or chewing issues. For those with diabetes, opt for a chickpea pasta to up the protein and fiber content of the dish.
Time: 20 minutes
- ½ small white onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- About 30 raw shrimp, unfrozen
- 1 cup peas
- 1 ½ tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 16 oz. box whole wheat or bean-based angel hair pasta
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil on medium heat and sauté onions and garlic until fragrant and translucent.
- Add capers, and stir for about a minute.
- Add peas, shrimp and lemon juice. Sauté until shrimp are cooked.
- Cook pasta.
- In a large serving bowl, pour shrimp and vegetables over pasta.
- Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.