There’s no better gift than one that comes from the heart—in this case, also your dresser! Caring for a senior loved one who isn’t able to leave their bed often can cause you to feel emotionally drained and helpless at times. However, there are an abundance of gifts and small items you can give to your older adult to help them feel closer to you in moments of solitude. Combine comfort with your own personal touch by making a T-shirt pillowcase your older adult can keep in their bed at all times!
While your free time as a caregiver is limited, you may just want a project that’s quick and doesn’t require many tools. Luckily, this DIY gift is easy to make and doesn’t require any sewing. It’s also a perfect craft for the kids to help with, which can really add to the sentimental value.
All you need are a few supplies:
- Large T-shirt that can cover the size of your pillow
- Square pillow
- Sharpie or black marker
Homemade pillow cover
- Lay out the T-shirt on a flat surface, like a kitchen counter or dining room table, and place your pillow on top. Make sure it’s not covering the hems or collar of your shirt.
- Take out a ruler and measure from the outside of the pillow to the end of the shirt. Leaving about 3 inches of room on each side, start cutting your shirt. Make sure you cut along the bottom hem so no stitches are visible. Repeat on the other side. Remember it’s OK if your lines are jagged and uneven like shown below—it won’t be noticeable when you tie the pieces toward the end.
- Cut along both side seams to create an even line. If your shirt runs on the smaller side, you may have to cut into the side of each sleeve.
- With a Sharpie or other marker, trace along the outside of your pillow. This will be used as a template to help ensure your frilly pieces are even and line up correctly with the pillow size. Once you’ve made your marks, cut squares into your shirt at each corner.
- Start cutting strips on each side until they hit the marked line. Count the amount of strips you have on every side to make sure they line up when you tie them together.
- Pull both pieces apart and cover your pillow, aligning the correct sides together. To give your pillow a more clean look, have the Sharpie-marked side facing down toward the pillow.
- Tie each piece from both sides together to form a double knot; this will help prevent the cloth from coming untied. You may also cut the ends if you don’t want the pillowcase to be very frilly.
Voila! You’ve completed your one-of-a-kind pillowcase to gift to your older loved one. If you want to make your present even more special, try spraying the pillow with a light amount of your favorite perfume or even a special linen mist.