A grab bar is an essential bathroom safety feature for seniors or people with limited mobility or disabilities. A necessity for safer home care, these easy-to-install products can greatly reduce risk for falls and provide stability and support while bathing or getting up and down from a toilet.
The potential for injury can be great when using a bathtub or showers as there are many times when you are balancing on one foot on a slippery surface. A grab bar can add needed support for one of life’s necessary tasks and help maintain independence for many.
Finding the right grab bar for your specific needs and functionality is important. Consider where you will need the bar, and how much weight you will applying to it, before you make your purchase. Following our review, we’ve included a more in depth buying guide with suggestions on how to find the right grab bar.
The best grab bars
- 1 Moen Home 24-Inch Bathroom Grab Bar
- 2 Vaunn Medical Adjustable Bathtub Safety Rail Shower Grab Bar Handle
- 3 Changing Lifestyles Safe-er-Grip 17″ Bath & Shower Handle
- 4 AmazonBasics Bathroom Handicap Safety Grab Bar
- 5 Franklin Brass Concealed Mount Safety Bath and Shower Grab Bar
- 6 Moen 30-Inch Flip-Up Screw-In Bathroom Grab Bar with Textured Grip
Moen Home 24-Inch Bathroom Grab BarCheck Latest Price $25.26
Vaunn Medical Adjustable Bathtub Safety Rail Shower Grab Bar HandleCheck Latest Price
The Vaunn Medical Secure Bathtub Safety Rail provides a 14″ handle on one side of the tub, allowing for easy and unrestricted access in and out of the tub. The heavy duty steel frame is ultra durable and provides a firm, non-shaky grip for seniors or any individual with limited mobility.
This product is easy to install on tub walls that range from 3 – 7 inches thick with no tools required. It is lightweight at just under 6 pounds, and can support up to 300 pounds once installed.
- Easy installation– no tools required
- Not bulky, can be hidden behind the shower curtain
- Handle can be slippery when wet for some
- Doesn’t not have adjustable height
- Securely clamps on the side of the tub
- Heavy-duty one piece steel frame
- Ambidextrous design works for both right and left-handed users
- Width adjustable clamp fits securely on tub walls 3-7 inches thick
- Brand: Vaunn
- Dimensions: 5.5 x 3 x 14 inches
- Weight: 6 lbs
Changing Lifestyles Safe-er-Grip 17″ Bath & Shower HandleCheck Latest Price
The 16.5″ Safe-er-Grip Balance Assist Bar is a suction cup device and must be applied to smooth, flat, non porous surfaces. The bar will not work on textured surfaces, must be reattached before each use, and cannot hold the user’s full body weight.
This bar is a great option for those looking for a temporary solution to balance needs when entering or exiting the tub. It is easy to use and install, and does not require any hardware or tools. Do note that bathroom tiles must be 4″ x 4″ or greater for suction cups to properly attach.
- Conveniently install and remove as needed
- Doesn’t look like a typical handicap bar, and may blend easier with bathroom
- Must be reattached to the wall before each use
- Not a weight bearing bar
- Suction cup attachment– tab levers to attach and remove
- Can be used on bathtub and shower walls
- Easy to install and remove
- Brand: Safe-er-Grip
- Dimensions: 16.5 x 4 x 3.8 inches
- Weight: 14.4 ounces
AmazonBasics Bathroom Handicap Safety Grab BarCheck Latest Price
The Amazon Basics grab bar is made from a durable and corrosion resistant stainless steel. The grab bar is 18 inches, but is also available in longer lengths. An installation guide and mounting screws are included and the bar supports up to 500 pounds.
We love that is ADA compliant and is backed with a 1-year warranty.
- One of the most affordable bars in our review
- Solid and easy to grip
- Finished look
- Installation may be a challenge for some
- Stainless steel construction
- Supports up to 500 pounds
- ADA compliant
- Installation guide and mounting screws included
- Brand: AmazonBasics
- Dimensions: 15 x 3 x 3.2 inches
- Weight: 15.5 ounces
Franklin Brass Concealed Mount Safety Bath and Shower Grab BarCheck Latest Price
The Franklin Brass bar provides support and stability for up to 500 pounds. Crafted from stainless steel for lasting quality and durability, the smooth and shiny finish creates a polished look in any bathroom. The decorative flange conceals the screws and fits securely over the grab bar flange.
The grab bar meets ADA standards and manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty.
- Once installed, very secure and stable
- Smooth, polished look to blend with any bathroom
- Need a drill to install
- Constructed with stainless steel, available in multiple finishes and sizes
- ADA compliant
- Supports up to 500 lbs
- Concealed mount
- Brand: Safety First
- Dimensions: 3 x 48 x 1.5 inches
- Weight: 3.68 ounces
Moen 30-Inch Flip-Up Screw-In Bathroom Grab Bar with Textured GripCheck Latest Price
The Moen flip up grab bar supports up to 300 pounds and conveniently stores out of the way when it is not needed. It features corrosion resistant steel and provides a reliable grip whether you are showering, bathing or using the toilet.
We like that the bar flips out of the way when not in use, making this a good option for small bathrooms or tight spaces.
- Bar flips out of the way when not in use
- Quick and easy to install
- The smooth surface version might be difficult to grasp when wet for some
- Polished stainless finish
- Supports up to 300 pounds
- Bathroom grab bar supports 500 pounds when installed in a stud
- Optional SecureMount hardware sold separately
- 30-inch bar length, 1.25-inch diameter
- Brand: Moen
- Dimensions: 32 x 7.6 x 13.4 inches
- Weight: 5 lbs
Grab Bars Buying Guide
It’s important to know exactly what features you will need in a grab bar. Consider the following before making your purchase:
Installation and Location
One of the first things you need to determine is where you want to install your grab bar. Some grab bars can be installed on hollow walls, while others need a flat dry surface to adhere. Consider also the length you will need, and what will fit in your bathroom shower or on your walls.
Many of the grab bars in our review will require some tools to install. Make sure you are equipped with the proper equipment and installation understanding before you make your purchase. If you intend to use the maximum weight recommendation many of these bars need to be installed in a wall stud, so keep that in mind as well.
Some grab bars have specific weight bearing loads, while others are meant just to steady someone. Consider the various weight capacity of each grab bar, and how you plan to use it. If you need it to pull yourself up, it may be worth investing in something with a higher weight capacity.
There are a couple things to consider regarding finish. First of course, is how the grab bar will look with your existing bathroom decor. If the grab bar will be hidden behind shower curtains, you may not care. However, if it is to be placed next to the toilet or another open area, consider how important the finish of your grab bar will be.
If you will be using your grab bar in the shower, where it will get wet while you are using it, you may want to consider a textured grip. This will help users grab the bar without slipping in wet conditions.