On a cold winter day, not much can beat a steaming bowl of nourishing soup. This savory green lentil soup is completely plant-based but offers an appetizing, hearty meal. Loaded with legumes, tomatoes, carrots, corn, onions and garlic, this soup is packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals.
For seniors with a low appetite, chewing issues or even cardiovascular complications, this lentil soup can serve as the perfect meal. As with any soup, added salt can quickly increase the sodium amount, so always be mindful of your salt shaker.
Time: 6 hours
- 1 cup dried green lentils, rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 4-5 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch rounds
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- In a Crockpot or other slow cooker, combine all ingredients except vinegar and stir.
- Cook on high for six hours, stirring every couple hours.
- After six hours, remove from heat, add vinegar and stir.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add 3 cups of soup into a blender, blend until smooth. Pour back into soup and stir.
- Salt and pepper as needed. Enjoy!