A Caesar salad can be so satisfying. Between savory cheese notes and the fresh crisp of Romaine lettuce, there’s no questioning why this salad is so loved. However, swapping shredded Brussels sprouts for lettuce creates a new, exciting salad that also offers more nutrition.
Brussels sprouts are cruciferous vegetables rich in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K and, surprisingly, ALA (alpha-linolenic acid), an omega-3 fatty acid. Nutrients in Brussels sprouts are helpful to support seniors’ bone health, eye health, immune health and many other functions of the body. Note: Because Brussels sprouts are rich in vitamin K, they should be consumed in moderation for those on blood thinners.
Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, washed and de-stemmed
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped roasted almonds
- ¼ cup Caesar dressing
- After washing and de-stemming the Brussels sprouts, shred them using a food processor (or shred them by hand by chopping them).
- Toss shredded Brussels sprouts with remaining ingredients.
Per serving: 105 calories; fat 6.5g; saturated fat 1.5g; cholesterol 0mg; sodium 223mg; carbohydrate 9g; fiber 3g; total sugars 4g; added sugars 0g; calcium 7%DV; iron 5%DV; potassium 5%DV
(Please note there may be some variation in nutritional content due to ingredient sourcing and measurement variations.)