As I begin my shopping for the holidays each year, I find it’s a great time to learn about new products hitting the market. For busy caregivers, it can be hard to find the time to research new tools and technology, and even more difficult to know which ones are worth the price.
We’ve rounded up some of our favorite products that help make life easier for older adults and those who care for them. This holiday season, treat your senior (and yourself) with practical gifts that increase independence, help those with mobility issues, and make daily tasks easier.
Adaptive clothing line Joe & Bella offers stylish apparel for older adults. Their catalog of men’s and women’s clothing includes everyday items like pants and tops, as well as outerwear and even sleepwear.
- Magnetic closures
- Easy-grasp zippers
- Open-back tops
- Post-surgery tops
- Triple zippers on adaptive pants for easy access to incontinence products
Editor’s note: Use code SEASONS10 at checkout to receive 10% off your first order.
For seniors with limited mobility – or for those who suffer from arthritis – a long-handled grabber can give them a little extra independence. This Suction Cup Grabber extends your loved one’s reach by 32 inches and securely grabs objects thanks to suction-cup fingers.
- Heavy-duty yet lightweight aluminum frame
- Secure, rubber suction-cup tips
- Ergonomic trigger handle
- Holds up to five pounds
- 60-day unconditional guarantee
If you live in a cold-weather climate, or if your senior suffers from poor circulation (or if you want a little extra coziness this winter yourself) these heated socks can be a real treat. Powered by AA batteries, these wool socks have built-in carbon-fiber heating panels on the toes for toasty warmth all winter.
Give your senior the gift of added independence while dressing with a sock aid. This handy tool works by sliding a plastic open frame into the sock and using attached cords to pull the frame and sock over your foot. It’s a great gift for those who struggle to bend down, are recovering from surgery or for older adults with limited mobility.
- Soft and flexible contoured plastic shell
- Slip-resistant foam pad keeps socks from slipping off the shell
- Nonslip foam handles for maximum comfort and grip
Auto canes are an effective, simple and portable tool for caregivers and older adults alike. The Able Life Auto Cane is made of aluminum and hooks into a car’s doorframe to offer another point of leverage while getting in and out.
- Portable and lightweight
- Works with all vehicles
- Supports up to 300 pounds
Car caddies, or handles, are a great option for older adults who may struggle to push themselves up using an auto cane. The Stander CarCaddie fits most vehicle window frames and offers a handle for seniors to pull themselves up and out of their seats.
- Nonslip handle for extra grip
- Adjustable length from 7 to 16 inches
- Supports up to 250 pounds
Note: If entering and exiting a vehicle is a struggle for your loved one, research all the options available to find the right solution.
Apple AirTags make losing commonly used items a thing of the past. These small sticker devices adhere to almost any item but are best for easily misplaced items like keys, wallets and phones, and send signals back to your iPhone identifying their location.
- Replaceable battery lasts more than a year
- Seamlessly communicates with iPhones*
- Encrypted communication with Find My Network for added privacy
- Water- and dust-resistant
*The Apple AirTags require a phone with a U1 chip.
Treat your senior to a little pampering and recovery with the ProsourceFit Acupressure Mat and Pillow Set. With more than 10,000 acupressure points on its surface, this set helps release tight muscles, increase circulation and relieve stress.
- 100% thick cotton and plant-based eco foam
- Ergonomic pillow shape for maximum recovery
- Pressure points stimulate nerves and improve blood circulation
The Nova Cup Holder is great for walkers, wheelchairs and other devices, with a unique design that attaches to frames keeping the cup holder straight and balanced.
- Fits most walkers, rollator walkers, transport chairs and wheelchairs
- Folds up when not in use
- Quick and easy installation
This functionable and fashionable walker tote bag is great for over-the-shoulder use as well.
- Fits most walkers, rollators, wheelchairs and scooters
- Adjustable, buckle straps
This six-in-one jar and can opener from Otstar makes a practical and helpful gift for any senior with limited dexterity and strength.
- Adjustable grip
- Hook for prying open airtight lids
For seniors who need extra assistance getting in and out of car seats, swivel chairs are a helpful tool. And the SJC Swivel Gel Memory Foam Chair Cushion adds a little extra comfort to their ride.
- Cooling gel top
- 100% memory foam
- Rotates a full 360 degrees
- Removable, washable cover
A new wireless tablet from GrandPad offers an easy way for older adults to stay connected to loved ones with call, email, photo and camera functionality, as well as Zoom integration, weather data, games, mood sounds and more.
- Simple set-up
- Wireless charging station
- Built-in wireless (no Wi-Fi needed)
- Stylus pen
- 24/7 white-glove support
This cozy, fleece weighted blanket from Granny Jo is perfect for wheelchair use in cold weather. With a special wheelchair design, the blanket attaches to almost any wheelchair for a cozy, fitted and comfortable experience.
- Two layers of soft fleece
- Attaches to any wheelchair with four straps
Pre-packaged meal provider MagicKitchen delivers everything from side dishes to holiday dinners, anywhere in the U.S. Give your senior – and yourself – the gift of convenience, nutrition and deliciousness with a meal program from MagicKitchen.
- À la carte options like side dishes or specific requests
- Menu-complete meals for dietary restrictions
- Gift packs for holidays and special occasions
This versatile hook attaches to most strollers, walkers, rollators and wheelchairs, and offers a sturdy, secure way to carry bags. With a 15-pound limit, this durable hook can handle most bags or totes while on the go.
The stylish, knee-high compression socks from Sockwell offer graduated compression zones to help wearers recover quickly, fight fatigue and soreness, and minimize swelling. Soothe tired feet and legs in three stylish color combinations.
- Wool, nylon, rayon and spandex blend
- Added arch support
- Four zones of moderate compression allow for quicker recovery
- Seamless toe closure, ultra-light cushion sole
- Fits women’s shoe sizes 4-11