A veggie-and-grain-based dish like this mushroom and brown rice pilaf is a perfect dish to prepare as a daily side for the senior you are taking care of. This dish can be paired with a protein like baked chicken breast, salmon or even meatballs to make a complete meal. Even by itself, the fiber, protein and complex carbohydrates within this dish will help keep seniors full throughout the day.
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 ½ cup lower-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and add garlic on medium heat. Cook until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, peas, rice and spices to the skillet, and stir until combined.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes or until rice is cooked and most liquid is evaporated. Enjoy!
Per serving*: 260 calories; fat 6g; saturated fat 1g; cholesterol 0mg; sodium 380mg; carbohydrate 43g; fiber 4g; total sugars 3g; added sugars 0g; protein 8g; calcium 3%DV; iron 13%DV; potassium 8%DV
*Please note: Nutrition variation may happen due to ingredient sourcing and measurement variations.