When looking for a dish that feeds many, creates some great leftovers, or can be packed with healthy ingredients, casseroles are a fantastic option. This Mexican-style black bean and chicken casserole is easy to prepare and packed with ingredients to keep seniors full and healthy. The colorful dish contains black beans and brown rice, two ingredients well-known for their nutrient content, including fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals.
Prep and Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup brown rice (dry)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed*
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, mined (remove seeds for milder heat)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook 1 cup dry rice as directed.
- While rice is cooking, combine tomatoes, black beans, green pepper, onion, jalapeno, chicken broth, garlic powder and cumin in a large bowl.
- Bring pot of water to boil, add chicken breasts and boil until chicken is cooked (about 7 minutes). Empty water and shred chicken using two forks. Add chicken to vegetable bowl and toss.
- One rice is cooked, add to vegetable and chicken bowl. Toss.
- Pour ingredients into a large casserole dish and top with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
* Culinary tip: When using canned beans, always be sure to strain and rinse them prior to eating or cooking. This helps remove excess sodium from the beans.