A grilled cheese sandwich is no doubt a classic comfort food. Yet, comfort foods can sometimes carry an unhealthy stigma. Simple ingredient tweaks or swaps, however, can help create better-for-you comfort food that still carries the same nostalgic appeal. This recipe leverages whole grain bread and the addition of vegetables to create a delicious better-for-you grilled cheese.
A comfort food like this can also bring joy and ignite nostalgic feelings, thus contributing to a senior’s happiness and overall mental health, two critical elements in senior wellness.
Time: 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 slices of whole grain bread
- 2 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ red pepper, sliced
- ¼ avocado, sliced
- In a skillet, sauté peppers with ½ tablespoon olive oil.
- Spread remaining oil on one side of each slice of bread.
- In a skillet on medium heat, layer bread, cheese, peppers and avocado and heat one side until crispy.
- Flip sandwich, and cook until cheese is melted and bread is crispy.
Per serving *: 590 calories; fat 44g; saturated fat 16g; cholesterol 60mg; sodium 650mg; carbohydrate 32g; fiber 8g; total sugars 6g; added sugars 0g; calcium 59%DV; iron 15%DV; potassium 8%DV, Vitamin D 39%DV
*Please note: Nutrition variation may happen due to ingredient sourcing and measurement variations.
Diversify your grilled cheese
Looking for other ways to spice up your grilled cheese? With the right blend of cheeses, vegetables and spreads, any grilled cheese is bound to be a hit. Try one of these options to change it up!
- Provolone, pesto and tomato slices
- Sharp cheddar and Granny Smith apple slices
- Mozzarella, spinach, basil and roasted red peppers
- Feta, sun-dried tomatoes and arugula