Lower carbohydrate meals are great for older adults looking to manage their diabetes, lose weight or maybe just enjoy a light meal. This cheesy baked zucchini is a delicious, savory dish that’s light on carbohydrates but still delivers on a craveable Italian meal.
Packed with zucchinis, tomatoes and tomato sauce, this low-carb dish is also rich in vegetable nutrition and loaded with fiber, potassium and folate.
Time: 30 minutes
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced longways in ¼-inch thickness
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups low sodium tomato sauce
- ⅓ cups shredded parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, tomato, olive oil, garlic powder and basil. Toss until vegetables are evenly coated.
- In a small casserole dish, lay down one layer of zucchini strips.
- Top zucchini with ½ cup of tomato sauce
- On top of the tomato sauce, lay the remaining zucchini strips and pour remaining sauce on top.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of sauce.
- Bake for 25 minutes.