Mobility aids are a tremendous way for you or a loved one to maintain independence and movement. They can enable seniors to continue living at home longer and allow for increased independence for those with mobility issues. A rollator differs from a standard walker in that it has wheels at the bottom of each leg, a handlebar, and often a built-in seat. Rollators are a great choice for those who wish to maintain mobility but may need to stop and rest frequently.
We also recommend a rollator wheeled walker because they are easier to use than traditional walkers that need to be lifted, and rollators better navigate uneven surfaces. Additional benefits of a rollator are a sturdy frame and the ability to add baskets or other accessories to make it easy to carry whatever items you may need to take with you.
The Best Rollator Walkers
This four wheel rollator is a great choice for most because it has ergonomic, adjustable handles, and a padded seat and backrest. The adjustable height and handles will help relieve stress on your hands, joints, and back. The padded backrest is easily removable which makes the rollator easy to transport and store.
We love the added safety features such as loop locks on the handles and large, non-marking wheels that are ideal for indoor or outdoor surfaces. This heavy duty rollator with a sturdy, steel frame also conveniently comes with a built-in storage pouch under the seat for toting your belongings.
- Comes in two colors – red or blue
- Ergonomic handles relieve pressure and allow for a more comfortable grip
- Wheels won’t skid or leave marks on your floors
- Solid and durable rubber wheels
- Seat height is not adjustable and may be too narrow for some
- Doesn’t lock into a folded position
- This model may be too heavy for those who have trouble lifting
- Handle height adjusts from 31 to 37 inches
- Non-marking wheels ideal for indoor or outdoor use
- Built-in storage pouch under padded seat
- Removable backrest for transport and storage
- Weight capacity up to 300 pounds
- Brand: Drive Medical
- Weight: 17.9 pounds
- Dimensions: 25.5 x 23.5 x 31 inches
This rollator from NOVA is available in four different seat heights so you can be confident that the rollator will be comfortable for you to use no matter your height. The design of the brake system also adds peace of mind. The brakes feature ergonomic grips and provide maximum control without needing to add much pressure, making this rollator easy to control for those with a weaker grip or joint pain in the hands or wrists.
The NOVA rollator folding walker also has a unique lock n’ load system which locks the rollator in place when folded making transport in and out of a vehicle worry-free. We also like the 2-inch ultra padded seat for maximum comfort. There’s a roomy storage pouch under the seat that also has a smaller interior pocket to help organize valuables and smaller items.
- Brake system is intuitive to use and easier to control than other models
- Choose from 7 different color options
- Variety of seat heights and a handy measuring chart help you make the right choice for your height
- More lightweight than other models – easier to maneuver
- The shape of the brakes causes them to stick out from the body of the rollator and can snag on clothing
- Seat dimensions and width between handlebars may be too narrow for some
- Four seat heights available – 18”, 20”, 22”, 24”
- Lock n’ load system keeps frame locked when folded for easy transport
- 2-inch padded seat with under seat storage pouch
- Ergonomic one-touch brake system
- Lifetime limited warranty on the frame and 5 year warranty on the brakes
- Brand: NOVA
- Weight: Ranges from 15.75 to 16.25 pounds
- Dimensions: Ranges from 24.5 x 24.75 to 24.5 x 27.25
This 3-wheeled model is a wonderful travel companion and is perfect for active seniors who are always on the go! Its 3-wheel design makes it easy to maneuver in small or tight spaces and the larger 8-inch wheels add confidence to navigating trickier terrain. When folded, the walker stands upright for convenient parking. The feather touch brakes are perfect for those with minimal grip strength and can be controlled with a gentle push.
We really love all of the travel and storage features that come with this rollator. The storage bag is larger than some other models, making it easy to carry around all of your essentials. This model also has a removable storage tray and wire basket so your most-used items are always at hand. The tray is a nice feature for use as a food tray and helps provide a stable surface for enjoying a meal or snack.
- Handle height adjusts up to 37 inches, making it one of the taller models we reviewed
- Great for travel with lots of storage options and a slimmer design
- Brake system is easy to control with a light push
- Large rubber wheels roll smoothly over most surfaces
- This model does not have a seat, which is something to consider if you need to stop and rest often
- The 3-wheel design could feel less stable than a 4-wheel model and may not work as well for those with more severe balance issues
- 3 wheel design for easy turning and maneuvering
- Feather touch brakes for the ultimate control
- Several storage features, including a pouch, wire basket and tray
- Folds flat and stands upright when folded
- Weight capacity is 250 pounds
- Brand: NOVA
- Weight: 16.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 23.5″W x 24.5”D x 37”H
This rollator is specifically designed to be lightweight and easy to maneuver thanks to an aluminum frame and one-handed folding mechanism. Almost everything about this rollator is adjustable, including the handles and backrest height, and designed for easy storage. The rollator also has a built-in brake cable for additional safety and protection.
The aluminum frame and nylon seat help keep things light and easy to maneuver, but this rollator can still support a maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds. We also like the large 10 inch front wheels with a caster fork design to increase the turning radius and control.
- Nylon seat and backrest are easy to wipe down and clean
- One of the slimmest models when folded
- Removable zippered storage pouch
- Comes in 3 neutral colors
- Frame may be too narrow for some
- Wheels may be too fast on smooth surfaces
- Comes in a standard or tall size
- One-handed fold by pulling up on the seat grip
- Adjustable height handles and backrest
- 10 inch front wheels
- Brake cable is built into the aluminum frame
- Brand: Drive Medical
- Overall dimensions: 23 x 27.75 x 33.5 inches
- Product weight: 17.5 pounds
- Weight capacity: 300 pounds
This foldable, rolling walker option from Medline features a lightweight, simple design and is a more affordable option compared to other models. The handle height is adjustable up to 35 inches and the whole frame folds up for storage and transportation. The 6-inch smooth rolling wheels are perfect for around the house use and flat, smooth outdoor surfaces.
The Medline Aluminum Rollator Walker is equipped with a sturdy padded seat, backrest and hand grips with under seat storage that is easily accessed from the back of the walker. This is a no-frills model great for light or indoor use, and is a good option if you’re looking for a second, more inexpensive walker for use in the house or to store and keep in your car or with a caregiver for when you need it.
- Lightweight model is preferable for those who have trouble lifting
- Fold flat feature means the rollator won’t take up much room in your vehicle or home
- An affordable option for around the house or to use as a second walker
- Smaller wheels don’t work as well on rough or uneven surfaces
- Hand brakes require some grip strength
- Handle height adjusts from 31 to 35 inches
- Lightweight at 14 pounds
- Folds flat for storage or transport
- Padded seat with under seat storage pouch
- Brand: Medline
- Weight: 14 pounds
- Dimensions: 25 x 24 x 31 inches
Our Best Rollators Buying Guide
Purchasing a mobility aid is a big decision and there are many factors to consider to ensure you’re getting a walker that fits your needs and lifestyle. Compared to traditional walkers rollators can offer more freedom and flexibility. When deciding if a rollator is right for you and which type of rollator to purchase we recommend considering your activity level, where you want to use the rollator, and storage and transportation needs. It’s also important to look for models that are adjustable or come in a variety of sizes so you can be confident your new rollator will work for you and give you more mobility instead of causing worry or strain.
One of the first decisions you’ll need to make when selecting a rollator is if you prefer a three-wheel or four-wheel walker model. A three-wheel model is slimmer, easier to maneuver, and works wonderfully for active seniors who need just a bit of extra support while on their feet. The three-wheel models do not have seats, so if you need to take frequent breaks or plan to be out all day a three-wheel model may be more challenging to use. Four-wheel models tend to be a bit larger and sturdier, making them ideal for seniors who want maximum stability and comfort. If you’re looking for something more in between, many sturdy four-wheel models come equipped with adjustable frames or larger wheels so they still do well on rough surfaces or in slimmer spaces.
Indoor vs Outdoor Usage
Wheel size is an important consideration if you want to use your rollator outdoors or if you have a home with uneven surfaces. Many models offer standard 6- or 8-inch wheels that work best for indoor use or flat, even outdoor surfaces. If you plan to take your rollator on a trip or spend a lot of time outdoors we recommend looking for a model with larger wheels that are better equipped to handle different types of terrain. Another factor with wheels is looking for wheels labeled non-skid for indoor use so you don’t end up with scuff marks all over your floors.
If you need to use your rollator when traveling or leaving your home be sure to keep an eye out for handy storage and transportation features. Many models offer a fold flat option to ensure the rollator takes up minimal space in your trunk or closet. Some models have locking systems that keep the folded rollator in place, making it easier to maneuver in and out of a vehicle. If you plan on traveling with your rollator, we definitely recommend looking for a model that folds or collapses into a compact space to minimize issues.
Ability to Adjust
A rollator is meant to help you stay active and mobile, so it’s very important to choose a model that works for your height to prevent straining or bending. Many models offer adjustable height handles or seats so you can find the perfect height or adjust as you go. Other models come in different sizes and have corresponding measuring charts to help you choose the right height. It’s very important to check the max height before purchasing, as some models don’t extend high enough for tall individuals.
Since rollators are on wheels, the brake system is an important safety feature. We like to look for models with ergonomic handles and intuitive, one-touch brakes so you can safely stop and lock the rollator when not in motion. Rollators with a seat should have secure locking brakes so you can get off your feet without worry. Since a rollator’s brakes are controlled by the handles grip strength is something you should consider, and if you have pain or weakness in your hands or wrists we recommend looking for a model with a feather touch feature for easier control.