The Best Extra Long Shoe Horn
RMS 35.5-inch Extra Long Shoe HornCheck Latest Price
This dressing stick and shoe horn combo is great for back support. The adjustable length allows you to put your shoes on while sitting or standing and you can screw it together without tools. The device is also designed with a hook to assist with putting on clothes and socks. It even includes a travel bag if you want to take your shoe horn on the go.
- Supports limited mobility
- Relieves back pain
- Can use standing and sitting
- Easy to assemble
- Travel friendly
- Some buyers complained about a brittle hook
- 22.5-35.5 inch adjustable length
- Smooth shoe horn with no sharp edges
- Dressing stick add-on included to help put on clothes/shoes and remove socks
- Brand: Royal Medical Solutions
- Model: Dressing Stick Aid Helper with Travel Bag
- Size/Weight: 35.5 inches; 9.6 Ounces
Comfy Clothiers 18-inch Long-Handled Stainless Steel Shoe HornCheck Latest Price
Comfy Clothiers’ 18-inch shoe horn (which is actually 16.5 inches long, since it curves slightly) is significantly heavier than similar products, but that’s a good thing. It’s made from 100 percent stainless steel for guaranteed durability.
The subtle curve makes the head easy to angle into a shoe, and a hole towards the top of the handle allows for easy storage. The handle isn’t particularly comfortable, but most users won’t have any issues using it for its intended purpose.
- Durable stainless steel keeps its shape without bending
- Hole in handle allows for easy storage
- Long enough to use from a standing or seated position
- Handle is slightly awkward
- Heavier than some other shoe horns
- Made from 100 percent stainless steel
- 18 inches long (16.5 inches, accounting for curved design)
- Available as blank steel or with “Dad” or “Grandpa” printing
- Manufacturer offers a 100 percent money-back guarantee
- 2 millimeters thick
- Brand: Comfy Clothiers
- Model: B01C3BYJM8 (Amazon Serial Number)
- Size/Weight: 16.5 inches, 0.45 pounds
Eachway Extra-Long Shoe Horn KitCheck Latest Price
This plastic-handled shoe horn breaks down into three parts, which makes it a great option for traveling or different applications. Use the smallest piece on its own, or continue to add components for longer and longer options. This is a great feature when wanting to use from both a sitting and standing position.
The rubber handle is comfortable, and the smooth, rounded plastic mouth won’t damage footwear.
Some users will still prefer metal over ABS plastic, and while this is a well-made product, we wouldn’t use too much force when using it. With that said, the attractive price tag and novel portability/adjustability features make Eachway’s shoehorn a great deal.
- Breaks down into three pieces for added portability
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Four different size options
- Plastic generally isn’t as dependable as stainless steel
- No curved handle or other ergonomic features
- Detachable, adjustable shoe horn kit
- Rubber handle and ABS plastic body
- Rounded edges won’t damage shoes
- Wide mouth for easier use
- Loop on handle for hanging
- Brand: Eachway
- Model: B07TSNHWBX (Amazon Serial Number)
- Size/Weight: 29.9 inches, 0.4 pounds
Ginkgo 19.7-inch Long Handled ShoehornCheck Latest Price
This long-length model is 2mm thick and has a heavier structure than most shoe horns. It’s rounded edge allows you to slide your feet into shoes without damaging the material. You won’t have to bend over or crouch down to put on your shoes using this protect, and a durable lanyard handle allows for a good grip.
- Thicker and heavier than most traditional shoe horns
- Rounded edges won’t damage your shoes
- Sturdy, wide mouth end
- Easy grip
- Some users said it took practice to get used to the feel
- Strong rubber loop
- Durable hard plastic
- Smooth tip
- Soft edge
- Shaped finish
- Brand: Ginkgo
- Model: B07ZFBNS8K (amazon serial number)
- Size/Weight: 17.72 inches, 0.25 ounces
Vive Extra Long-Handled Metal Shoe HornCheck Latest Price
Stainless steel construction and an extra-long blade make this shoe horn from Vive a great choice. On the other hand, it has a price tag to match its features. A full length of 31.5 inches allows users to put on their shoes while sitting or standing, with no bending required.
A genuine leather grip and the ergonomic curve make an elegant handle, and because this shoe horn is made from stainless steel, it maintains a thin, straight edge without a lot of added bulk. The manufacturer even throws in a lifetime guarantee.
- Virtually unbreakable and unbending
- Longer than most competitors
- Thin steel scoop slides easily into shoes
- At nearly a full pound, it’s heavier than plastic options
- Leather grip has a habit of sliding
- Extra-long shoe horn for use while sitting or standing
- Durable stainless steel construction
- Curved leather grip is comfortable and classy
- Manufacturer guarantees satisfaction for life
- Brand: Vive
- Model: LVA2011SLV
- Size/Weight: 31.5 inches, 0.85 pounds
GOLPEW Portable 8.5 to 39-inch Long Metal Shoe HornCheck Latest Price
This portable shoe horn is as small as 8 inches and as long as 39 inches when extended. The strong metal structure allows for a sturdy aid for putting on your shoes, whether you’re standing, sitting, or bending. The smooth surface of the horn accommodates a wide range of shoe types, from sneakers to boots and the handle includes a soft EVA sleeve for a cozy, yet strong grip.
- High-grade aluminum
- Portable and compact
- Ergonomic design
- Good grip
- Some buyers said shoe horn felt flimsy/unsteady when set to the longest length
- Rotating lock
- One-button switch
- Reaches between 16 inches and 39 inches to meet your needs
- Flannel storage bag included
- Integrated structure
- Brand: GOLPEW
- Model: B0BHY9WHPC (amazon serial number)
- Size/Weight: 10.16 x 2.09 x 2.01 inches, 7.05 Ounces
Our Best Extra Long Shoe Horn Guide
Carefully consider your options when purchasing a shoe horn, particularly if you’re buying for an older adult. Longer isn’t always better, particularly if the user has mobility challenges.
Here’s a closer look at some of the main factors that set shoe horns apart from one another.
This seems fairly straightforward, but think about whether the user will need to use the shoe horn from a standing or sitting position. Full-sized shoe horns can be awkward for some individuals, particularly older adults with back issues.
Longer shoe horns are also more likely to bend during use if made from plastic, particularly if they’re mishandled. For best results, insert the shoehorn into the heel of the shoe, then slowly slide your foot in. Lift up slightly on the shoehorn as you slide your foot in so that the shoe horn is completely removed when your foot is seated.
Shoe horns are typically made of plastic, wood, or metal. Modern plastic blends can be quite durable, but metal is still the standard—and if you’re regularly putting on boots or other heavy footwear, you’ll probably want to find a shoe horn made with stainless steel. On the other hand, if you’re looking for something lightweight, especially with a longer model, plastic may be the way to go.
Most extra-long shoe horns are curved slightly, which allows the user to slide them into a shoe from a standing position without awkwardly twisting their upper body. Some also have wide mouths to provide a better grip on the shoe heel; whether or not this is an appealing feature will depend on the user’s personal preferences.
Remember, no shoe horn can replace the need for a properly fitted shoe. If you’re purchasing for an older adult, make sure that their shoes aren’t excessively tight. If you notice swelling or other signs of podiatric issues, contact a physician.
Ultimately, shoe horns are useful devices for people of all ages, and for seniors, they’re downright indispensable. By doing a bit of research prior to making your purchase, you can find a high-quality product that will provide years of dependable comfort.